Tuesday, November 11, 2008

With apologies for the delay..

It has been an embarassingly long time since we've posted an update -- so, this will likely be an overlong attempt to catch you up on things that've been happening over the last few weeks.


The election, of course!
I'm embarassed to admit that Matt and I slept through the election the whole world watched! I got up to see Dixville Notch cast their first-in-the-nation ballots (Humprey was the last Democrat to win there!), and we watched CNN International work over the first exit polls as we ate dinner. Since the first polling stations wouldn't close until 1:00 AM our time, and we both had class early Wednesday morning, we decided to get a good night's sleep and leave the results until morning. (Trying to fall asleep that night reminded me of what it felt like on Christmas Eve as a little girl!)
We, of course, had long-since cast our ballots. I actually got to vote twice -- completely legally! Although we mailed our absentee ballot requests on the same day, Matt received his ballot more than two weeks before I got mine. The Embassy advised that anyone who had not received a ballot by October 20 should complete a Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot, which allows you to indicate a preference for the presidential, US Senate, and US House races. If/when your absentee ballot arrives, you're supposed to complete and return it just as normal. The idea is that the election officals keep any FWABs unopened until November 4: if the regular ballot is returned, then the FWAB is discarded and only the regular ballot is counted. (This being DC, who knows how well the process worked...but at least it wasn't a swing state! In fact, the only competitive race on my ballot was a neighborhood council seat.)

As you may have heard, the idea of "President-Elect Obama" is very popular over here. Newspapers and magazines are carrying headlines like "Obama: What the World Was Waiting For" and "For those who doubted America, the election was the best response!" (I do have the impression, though, that this isn't so much a pro-Obama sentiment as it is an anti-Bush/McCain attitude.)


The holidays are upon us
Those who have never spent the early fall outside the US may not appreciate the strategic value of Thanksgiving: holding back Christmas! On November 1, the Halloween items came down and the Christmas displays went up all over town. Some of the shop windows are absolutely gorgeous; my favorite, though, are the Christmas trees at Bon Marché (a big department store) -- there are six totally different trees, each one supposed to be an inspiration for what your own tree could look like (all you have to do is invest heavily in their fine array of decorations, of course!).


A trip to Versailles
Matt and I took a quick afternoon in Versailles at the end of October. We happened, though a fortunate accident-of-planning, to be there for "Les Grands Eaux Musicales", an occasional performance of classical music projected throughout the gardens. We arrived early enough that the fountains hadn't been turned on, so we enjoyed a leiurely stroll through the autumn leaves. (I had actually never jumped into a raked-up pile of leaves before, but finally got my first chance!) The gardens are still meticulously maintained, and we had a wonderful time watching the water and listening to the music.


Still exploring Paris
As the days get shorter, we've taken to exploring the 'indoor' attractions of Paris a little more than the grand monuments. Most recently, we found what has to be the best hot chocolate in Paris. I often steer clear of places that all the guidebooks recommend (I usually think they're too crowded to be enjoyable), but Angelina's turns out to be worth the wait! The hot chocolate tastes like a delicious chocolate bar was melted down and cream was stirred in -- it's so rich that you really can't have more than just one cup!

Along with a small group of friends, we're starting to make ritual of having tea every Thursday at the Mosque of Paris. The tea is wonderfully minty and sweet, and the tearoom is beautifully decorated: I'll do my best to remember my camera this week!

No comments: